Resident Labour Market Test
Resident Labour Market Test (RLMT)
From the 6th April 2015, the process for applying for a Employer Sponsor Licence changed whereby the employer is now required to carryout a RLMT prior to their initial application for a licence. The RLMT demonstrates to the Home Office that the UK labour market has not been disadvantaged when UK employers recruit skills from outside the European Economic Area. In order to carry out the RLMT, the employer is required to carryout a visible advertising campaign for the appointment for a period of 28 days or separated into two periods totalling 28 days.
You can advertise online through the following portals:
In order to ensure the advertisement reaches the UK market, it must be conducted online via public online job sites such as Jobcentre plus, in addition to another recruitment publication. If the employer is unable to fill the vacancy with a UK resident in the 28 day period, the appointment has passed the RLMT and the employer may be issued a Certificate of Sponsorship in the Restricted category.
Resident Labour Market Test Exemptions
- If you are extending your current Tier 2 Skilled Worker in country and you are working in the same occupation.
- If your role and background falls within the Shortage Occupation List.
- Post Study Work.
- High value earners; if your total salary package is £155,300 or more.
- You are on Academic Leave.
- Undertaking supernumerary research positions.
- Postgraduate doctors and dentists in speciality training.
Do you need our assistance?
If you would like to know more about the Tier 2 category or you wish to employ someone from overseas please click on the button below and contact one of our advisers, otherwise please take a look at the different support services we can provide your business.