Indefinite Leave to Remain
Indefinite Leave to Remain
Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) permits you to work, without restriction, in the United Kingdom. You are also permitted to exit and re-enter the UK multiple times, with further rights to public funds. However, Indefinite Leave to Remain is only valid in the UK, it does not permit you the right to work in any of the European countries.
Routes to Indefinite Leave to Remain – You may be permitted to apply for ILR under the following routes:
- Once you have completed two years on a route to settlement such a Spouse, Civil and Un- Married partner visa and you applied under the old rules before July 2012.
- Once you have completed a full five year term under a spouse, civil and un–married partner visa, after the rules changed in July 2012.
- Once you have completed five Years on an Ancestry Visa.
- Once you have completed five years on a work related visa (Tier 2 ICT does not lead to settlement).
- There may be an opportunity for accelerated settlement after 3 years if you are a Tier 1 Investor or Tier 1 Entrepreneur.
- Permanent Residency – An EU citizen, (except a student) and their family member may apply for permanent residency after 5 years of continuous residency. Permanent Residency is the settlement category for people applying under the EEA Regulations 2016.
- You must pass the Life in the UK test.
- Unless you are otherwise exempted you must pass an English Language Test at level B1 CEFR or higher. The test centre must be recognised by UKVI.
- You must complete the full term in the route leading to settlement.
- You must ensure you meet the salary threshold required in maintaining your current visa ( if applicable).
- You must demonstrate your relationship continues to subsist (if applicable).
- You must pass the criminal record check.
If you are applying for Settlement under the Tier 2 route, you will need to meet the salary threshold requirement . Please click here for the Tier 2 salary requirement for ILR.
- You may apply in the UK via the postal route, the processing time for settlement is up to 6 months.
- You may apply at the Public Enquiry Office, the processing time is upto 48 hours.
- The settlement visa allows you to the live in the UK for an indefinite period.
- You may enjoy unrestricted employment.
- In most cases you may apply to Naturalise once you have held Indefinite Leave to Remain for at least one year.
Do you need our assistance?
If you would like to book a consultation to discuss your options under Indefinite Leave to Remain please click on the button below otherwise please take a look at the different support services we can provide you and your family members.